Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 15, in which several students share their hearts.

Today was a great day.
Let me say that once more,
Today was a great day.

Today I had my first student cry. She was afraid that she wouldn't do well on her project, because her partner wasn't pulling his weight. I encouraged her to advocate for herself, reminding her that we cannot control other people, but she can let the teacher know what's going on, and just do her best on the things she can control. I was so proud to see her walk back into the theatre, find her partner, treat him with kindness and patience and get back to work. Honestly, I think she handled the situation with more maturity and grace than I could have, and I was so encouraged by her spirit.

Today one of my students told me that he was so excited for his friend, because this afternoon was going to be his first audition ever - however, when 4th period came around, this student said that he was no longer auditioning. We asked him why, and he said "well, my dad is kind of a... man's man... and he will only let me audition once this year, so I chose the musical."
First of all, I am proud of my student for following something he loves, and is passionate about - that's pretty awesome. It can be difficult to hear things like this, fathers believing that the arts are 'feminine', and I don't know the whole situation at home, but I am so glad that my student is still in theatre class, is still auditioning, is still working hard and pursuing what he loves. While the news about the dad was hard to hear, this remains encouraging. I told my student that he should invite his dad to audition, too. I hope his father will see the productions, and see how well his son is doing. And I hope that maybe then, he will change his mind.
And, my heart is full to think about the other students in the class who are so supportive of this student, and upon hearing about his dad, nobody said anything, but everyone had looks of pure compassion, and some nodded, understanding. This is a great group.

Today another one of my students was talking about how his father would help to build the set when he gets back, and he spoke with so much pride and love, that I was truly captivated, just by this simple statement. I could kind of tell that he wanted to talk about it more, so I asked him where his dad was, and he answered -
Afghanistan.
Wow. I was definitely not expecting to find that in this little old peak of good living. That is dangerous, adventurous, wild at heart. I asked my student when his dad would be home, and he said December. I hope it's before I leave.
I told him about my camper this summer whose father surprised her by picking her up at the end of the week, and I just wish I could share with you the look on this boy's face... I think his dad really means a lot to him, and it was so sweet, and so touching, and so strong to witness this. I have been truly blessed.

You guys, I love my students.
Truly.

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; 
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name, 
 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 
 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.
[Philippians 2:1-11]

No comments:

Post a Comment