Friday, August 23, 2013

Day Five: Lessons in Humility

Today was the last teacher workday before students show up on Monday.
Today I received a Lesson Plan Book.
Today I completed my lecture notes for next Friday.
Today I attempted to move a 14-foot ladder by myself, and in the process managed to spill a bucket of water on a ton of electrical equipment.
...
Oops.

Lessons from today:
It's okay to ask for help.
It's okay to appear incompetent.
It's okay to make mistakes.
But it really helps the last two items on this list when you remember the first one.

So, that was embarrassing. Plus, I've realized how little I know about technical theatre terms, and even though I know I can figure out how to do everything, and I'd be happy to sit in the theatre and work on a project by myself, I get really intimidated when my teacher is there, and I feel like she is going to think I'm not good enough - but I have to let this go!!

It is okay to mess up.
It is okay to fail.
We cannot grow if we do not change.

I am ready for students to come on Monday. I have some insecurities, but I think that I just need to be as much myself as possible. (It's way easier in some environments than others - I'm becoming increasingly thankful for camp and Boone as the days go by). If I'm nervous, or if I'm trying to hide, the students will know. And they won't like me. Why should I hold back simply because I'm a student teacher? In fact, I should take advantage of the fact that I'm a student teacher - it means I get to try new things, to try things and fail miserably, and get back up on my feet and try again.

Be BOLD.

I will be BOLD.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to: Seeing Sam

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. [Hebrews 12: 1-2]

No comments:

Post a Comment